Sometimes, you're at home and you just get the hankering to bake something. Of course, you don't have everything on hand to make just whatever you want, but brownies? Brownies are easy and the supplies are almost always on hand. And this time I decided I wanted to jazz things up a bit and add in some Bailey's Irish Cream. Because everything is better with Bailey's, right? Especially chocolate things.
I mean, you can't really go wrong with the simple Bailey's in a glass with some ice cubes, but why not add it into your brownie batter as well? If you're thinking to yourself, I bet they don't even taste like Bailey's after they're baked... you're wrong! These really do have the signature Irish cream flavor! Even moreso than I thought they would, if I'm being honest.
Now, the original recipe called for a whole 1/2 cup more sugar, but I thought that would be way too sweet, so I reduced that a bit, and these are still sweet, but not overly so. I also suggest you use a square pan and reduce the baking time as well. Mine came out a little more cake-like than I prefer, but I think reducing the time to what I've put below will help alleviate that a bit. The ones in the pictures baked for 35 minutes, if you like that consistency.
Finally, I must apologize for the slightly blurry nature of some of these photos! I could not get my hands to stay still for the up close shots. Sigh.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2-3 squares baking chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream Liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt the butter and the chocolate together in a microwave safe bowl, or in a small pan on the stove. If using the microwave, start with 30 seconds, mix, then 30 seconds, then mix, then in increments of 10 seconds until the chocolate is melted through.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the melted chocolate mixture with the sugar for 2-3 minutes until fluffy. Add in the eggs, beating one at a time. Add in the flour and stir until just combined. Finally, stir in the Bailey's.
- Pour into a greased 8x8 baking pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes until just barely done.
Adapted from How Sweet It Is