|Garth: the detector of tension between Winchester brothers.|
Sam and Dean soon find out that Garth has sort of become the new Bobby after he gets multiple phone calls from other hunters with questions and whatnot. Dean is, of course, less than enthused with this idea, but lets it fester for awhile, because that is what Dean is best at, letting his feelings fester until he can get possessed and blurt them all out at once with guns pointed at heads. Whoops, did I just give away the ending? Whatever, you've surely already watched it.
After another person gets murdered, the gang figures out, thanks to one of Bobby's old journals, that they're dealing with a specter. You know, green ectoplasm gives it away. Specters are sort of avenging ghost types. They eventually figure out, after many random comments about Confederate versus Union soldiers and the Civil War, that the specter came from the Confederate version of the tomb of the unknown soldier. So they salt and burn, and Sam finds a mysterious hair or piece of thread or some crap, because he always finds the random tiny stuff, which is, like, super duper important later.
|Dean, all the cool kids wear fringe jackets. Duhhhh|
Well, actually, they split up, and Dean ends up getting stuck with the penny. Uh oh! Possessed Dean sure has a lot to say to Sam. Like, why didn't you look for me in Purgatory? And, come to think of it, why are you always being so betray-ful in the first place? Demon blood? Ruby? No soul? Oh yes, that time when you traveled around with Samuel for a year and left me to think you were dead? Well shit, it's true when you put it like that, that's some pretty crappy stuff. Anyway, there's a scuffle, but Garth manages to get the penny away from Dean. All is well! Or IS IT?!
While all of this was going on, we had some more Sam flashbacks to his time with Amelia the vet. It turns out that Amelia was married, and her husband had recently died in Afghanistan. She tells Sam all of this in a post sexytimes sad truth reveal, and then wants him to leave and go and shoo and not look at her with the sad puppy eyes. Well, Sam is not having it, and tells her that he understands, having recently lost his brother. Sad puppy eyes all around!
Back in the present, Dean bids a grudgingly fond farewell to Garth, basically giving him permission to take up Bobby's mantle after all. It helps that earlier Garth told him the what for - that Bobby belonged to all hunters and not just the Winchesters. You go, Garth.
But that's not all. Because clearly we need a patented by the Impala real bro talk. Sam basically confronts Dean about having these thoughts about him betraying him and such, but Sam throws it on back, saying that at least he's tried to be up front about what happened while Dean has kept these secrets about Benny and what really went on. Which is, you know, true. Sam also basically told Dean that he might kill Benny one day. Yeesh. That's way harsh, Tai.
- What happens to these people who've murdered others while possessed? I mean, we never really stop to think about that, do we? Do they all just go to prison or the nuthouse? I guess they must. Sad trombone.
- I swear that lady was on a previous episode, maybe as the woman who set herself on fire at the gas station back in, oh, season two? Am I hallucinating?
- I know a lot of people are going to be on Dean's side, but honestly I kind of agree with Sam. Look, I get it, Dean's upset that Sam didn't try harder to get him back, but I feel like we haven't really gotten that whole part of the flashback story yet. Or maybe we have. Sam didn't know where he was. How was he supposed to find out? But Sam calling Dean out on being on this high horse since he's gotten back? Yeah. I totally get that. Don't we know by now that keeping secrets never ends well? ANYway.
- I kind of had the same reactions as Dean when Garth was trying on the Bobby-isms for size. Not because he was doing it wrong, but because those sayings were done to absolute death already, and we're trying to bring them back? Please GAHHG no. Garth trying to grow out a beard to be more Bobby-like, however, was sort of cute. Mostly because it was not mentioned or thrown in our faces like whoa.
- I gotta say, Sam sure seems to know what to say to win over a lady. Though no one resists the power of the puppy dog eyes. NO ONE. Especially not a vet!
Sam: So how does that make this our kinda thing?
Dean: Because, Sam, Kevin's in the wind, you're sulking around like a eunuch in a whorehouse, and I can't help but ask myself, when is decapitation not my kinda thing?
Sam: Hold up. Are you the new Bobby?
Dean: You shut your mouth.
Dean: You shut your mouth.
Dean: What do we got, a ghost with an Oedipus complex?
Sam gives him a look.
Dean: I don't know what that means.
Dean: That's not how you wear it! (re: Garth wearing Bobby's hat)
Sam: Burn a confederate soldier's bones in a town full of rednecks? Sure!
Previous Episode -- Next Episode