And what a zippy episode it was, right? Things moved at a very quick pace throughout... maybe even a little too quick? Well, let's not quibble.
Sam and Dean find themselves hunting some kind of something that has left some dead, shriveled up bodies throughout the years. They're not entirely sure what they're dealing with, but figure out it's been the same guy killing these people since at least the 1940s - a Mr. Snyder (played by guest star Jason Dohring). They track him down only to find him snacking on another person, so Dean goes into a full on sprint at the guy - and gets engulfed in a red light. And sent back to 1944. Whoops. You should be more careful, Dean.
|Rock those fedoras, gentlemen.|
Meanwhile, back in the here and now, Sam is freaking out about what has happened to Dean. But he has some help too, in the form of Sheriff Jody Mills, onetime possible paramour of our late Bobby Singer. Since she turned the boys on to the monster in the first place, she wants to help. Sam has her go pick up Bobby's stuff, and they get to researching - and are able to find that the monster in question isn't even a monster, but rather a god. Kronos, the god of time. They find a way to summon him, but in order to get Dean back too, Kronos would have to be holding onto him. They'd have to know exactly what day and what time to call him back from. Needle. Haystack. Same. Difference.
Back in the '40s, Dean and Ness have also discovered that it's Kronos. They do have one advantage over Sam and Jody, however, in that they have a helper, a sort of female Bobby, who finds a way to kill him. Some ancient stick with some blood, you know, the usual. Of course, killing Kronos would mean Dean gets stuck in the '40s permanently, and unless he wants more randy older women coming on to him, then he's got to find another way. Being the movie geek he is, he remembers Back to the Future Part 3, and decides to get Sam a message through time.
In the message, Dean tells Sam about the girl that Kronos has been seeing, Lila. Sam and Jody find that Lila is still alive today, and she happens to have been there the night that Dean and Ness come for Kronos. All of the clocks stopped at 11:34pm. Well, guess you have your needle in a haystack time! Better fetch Dean before he gets choked to death by the lord of time!
Which, of course, they do. Ness also manages to throw the special twig of doom into the time vortex as well, so Sam is able to kill Kronos before he can do more damage. But Kronos won't just die with a whimper. Smiling through bloody teeth, he tells the boys he sees their future, and it's covered in black goo. That can't be good.
- Dean doing the math to figure out what year he was in was hilarious.
- Though of course seeing Dean in the past was great, I have to say one of my favorite scenes was a quiet one between Sam and Jody, when Jody finds the bottle with the note from Rufus. It's just a small moment in remembrance of Bobby, but I love those kinds of small moments.
- Another Back to the Future reference - Dean sending Sam a message through the years! You know how I love me some BTTF. Though I did think it was kind of odd for Dean to assume that Sam would sleep while he had gone missing, therefore being able to find the message in the first place. Minor quibble, to be sure. But then it wouldn't have really mattered when Sam found it, since he knew the right time to summon Dean from... ah time travel, you get so twisty and crazy.
- Did the ending feel a bit abrupt to anyone else? I felt like there should've been one more of the famous wrap up scenes at the end after the commercial break.
- What in the... the preview for next week!
"Don't give me that dirty diaper look, I ain't callin' ya." - Dean
Sam: I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I hope you're watching cartoon smut, because reading Dick Roman crap over and over again is just self punishment.
Dean: It's called anime, and it's an art form.
"You gonna look up more anime, or are you strictly into Dick now?" - Sam
Sam: Wait a minute, what's our plan?
Dean: Don't die.
"Sweet merciful awesome." - Dean
Previous Episode -- Next Episode