Let me tell you about these bars. They are sa-weet! Holy cow they are sweet! Like, whoa, I can feel the sugar in my teeth when I take a bite. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I suppose, but just be aware you are in for some suga' suga' suga' when you make these babies. Although, I did use more marshmallows than I should have, so that probably (definitely) contributed to the sugar bomb.
In truth, these are kind of a cousin of my Cookie Bars. Both utilize marshmallows to make the bars ooey gooey delicious. If you've never tried baking bars with marshmallows in them before, you're missing out. They melt and ooze out into the dough, making it extra gooey and yummy. These are even more oozey than normal, because like I said I did too many marshmallows, as I was cutting up large marshmallows to be smaller and that also makes them ooze out more because they don't have the exterior bit holding them back just a little.
See? These barely hold themselves together! If you want to go as crazy as me, then these are less bars and more like a cookie thingy you can eat straight from your pan for maximum laziness. Like a skillet cookie but in a square pan. That can be a thing, right? Sure it can, if we want it to. Do what you want, I mean, come on.
I mean.... you can barely tell where one "bar" ends and the other begins! They started to kind of merge into each other at this point in the photo-taking process. I also used a touch too much butter because I was in a hurry and wasn't measuring 100% exact, so just make sure you use the right amount of butter to not get too extra greasy. Unless you like greasy? Hmm. I'm not sure about that. Greasy french fries are one thing, but greasy bars are another.
Butterscotch Marshmallow Blondies
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt together your butter and butterscotch chips. You can either do this in a small saucepan over the stove or in the microwave, zapping for 30 seconds and stirring and zapping and stirring until it's smooth. Let that cool for a little bit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and brown sugar. tir in the butterscotch mixture until combined.
- Stir in the egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Add in the marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until center is just set.
- Allow to cool completely before you cut it into squares.