Oopsie. Guys, I completely forgot the show was on last night. I was home doing whatever, totally could've watched it, but nope, didn't even cross my mind! So... whoops! Shame because this was another pretty good episode. I must say things have been better this season. I particularly liked that it hearkened back to the long ago days of the yellow-eyed demon that started everything. But I'm getting ahead of things!
This episode is a little tough to recap chronologically within the episode itself, as it did a lot of jumping around in time, focusing on different characters in each mini chapter. So I'll just give a rundown of what basically happened in the right order. Basically, Mary got a call from the BMoL (British Men of Letters) to go get something from a demon's place. She called up her friend Wally for help, along with Sam, Dean, and Castiel, though she didn't tell them that her real mission was to pick up a mystery item.
Anyhow, they make a plan to ambush the demon when he gets home. Only the ambush doesn't go so well - he's not phased by bullets, and more importantly not phased by the demon knife. Also, some other demons have shown up as well, so of course a fight ensues. One of those extra demons manages to kill Wally before Sam and Dean are able to dispatch them. And the head demon guy pulls this lance thing out of midair and stabs Cas with it, and then reveals to Mary that he has yellow eyes! Oh but I forgot, while they were getting the ambush set up, Mary was secretly obtaining the mystery object from a locked safe. So she has it.
Ok! So basically they manage to get away because Mary hits the demon with a car and they drive off. Cas isn't able to heal himself, and indeed has some bad looking black lines spidering out from the wound. Sam is all like WTF Mom, what's a YED doing here? Crowley shows up for a helpful explanation - he's Ramiel, and Prince of Hell. One of the first demons created by Lucifer himself, much like Azazel from yesteryear. He was a prince of hell? I don't remember that bit, but that doesn't mean it's not true. Basically, he tells them the wound can't be healed, it was from the lance of Michael, which it turns out he gifted to Ramiel some six years ago, along with the mystery object. Ramiel was supposed to take over Hell, but instead told Crowley to do it as he didn't care.
Crowley tries to talk Ramiel out of going after all of the Winchesters and Castiel, but he's having none of that. He comes in, pulls out the lance, and proceeds to beat down them all down after first giving Mary a window to hand over the mystery object, which she doesn't, and still doesn't tell anyone else about. Fight fight fight, Sam manages to get the lance out of Ramiel's hands and stabs him with it, turning him into a dust cloud.
Of course, Castiel is still lying there dying, but Crowley manages to come to his rescue, breaking apart the lance, and thereby the magic runes that do its dirty work, which magically heals Castiel. They all wonder what the heck Ramiel could've been talking about, but Mary still doesn't tell them. But, when she meets up with Mr. Ketch later, we see - it was the Colt. Yes, that Colt that killed ole YED so many years ago. I admit I forgot whatever happened to it. But doesn't it need special bullets? I thought those were all gone.
Also! Crowley goes back to his lair, and who does he have locked up? None other than Lucifer, who I'm pretty sure was being played by Mark Pellegrino, but I can't be 100% sure since they only sort of showed him. And again no preview for next week, so who the heck knows what that episode will be about.
- Soooo now Crowley can lock up Lucifer in some flimsy cage? Apparently that egg thingamajig took out some of his powers or something? And how is he back in the Pellegrino vessel? So many questions.
- You know we're going to be meeting those other two Princes of Hell that were mentioned, particularly since one of them has "taken an interest" in the gestating spawn of Lucifer.
- You also know that eventually the boys are going to find out about Mary's dealings with the BMoL, and they are going to be pissed, especially when they find out that she gave them the Colt. I'm still unclear on if there are any more bullets. And I really have no recollection about what happened to it so many moons ago, but I guess Crowley somehow got it? Sure.
- It seemed pretty easy to break that lance and magically heal Castiel. I mean obviously they're not going to kill Castiel in some random mid season episode, but still.
- I also kind of wanted more of Ramiel, he was interesting. But also really bad at fighting seeing as Sam got the lance away from him so dang easily.
Mary: Thanks for coming, I know you're busy.
Castiel: Mmm. Not really.
Mary: Did you see his eyes? He had yellow eyes.
Sam: Mom, what did you get us into?
Mary: Since when is life about getting what you want?
Dean: Wow, you look like hammered crap.
Castiel: Yeah, that sounds about right.
Crowley: You idiots. You're all going to die.
Dean: Well this day just keeps getting better and better.
Crowley: Ramiel, Prince of Hell. It's catchy, it rhymes.
Castiel: You're my family. I love you.
Previous Episode -- Next Episode