|We're suddenly getting a lot of screentime together, huh?|
But, Dean is not so happy with being put on the sidelines. He summons Crowley to get him out of the bunker, and to also question him about what the whole blade business may be doing to him. Crowley says that, basically, the Mark of Cain was not meant for a regular human. Cain was a demon, so he could handle it. So basically, if he does not keep up the constant killing, it will eventually kill him. Well, no time to dawdle about that right now, because Metatron is still an issue.
|Full metal crazy blade.|
Gadreel and Castiel, meanwhile, manage to get into Heaven by Gadreel pretending Castiel is his prisoner. Only, the angels were expecting this, and lock them away. Gadreel is not content to be locked away yet again, and decides to sacrifice himself in order to free Cas to go look for the tablet.
Back on the ground, the boys track down Metatron. Dean knocks out Sam so he can go in alone, and basically proceeds to get a walloping by Metatron, ending with Sam just waking up and running in just in time to see him stick a blade right in Dean's chest. Well, that will certainly leave a mark. Alas, Dean was not able to try and kill Metatron because it took Cas a little too long to find the angel tablet and destroy it, which he eventually does succeed in doing. They bring Metatron back up to Heaven to sit in the jail, blah blah.
Sam and Dean have some touching moments while Dean is dying, but he does indeed die. Sam decides he's going to summon up Crowley to save him with some deal or another, yet again. But, Crowley is already hanging out with dead Dean. It turns out, he wasn't telling the whole truth about the blade (what a surprise). Cain had also decided that he didn't like what the Mark was doing to him, and decided to take his own life with the blade. Crowley sets the blade in Dean's hand and places it on his chest, and sure enough, his eyes open up all black and demon-y.
And... cut to black. That's your season, folks. Are you going to survive the summer? What did you think of the episode? More of my thoughts below.
- I did like Crowley making a comment about Sam using the same tired idea of bargaining his soul for his brother's, because seriously we have seen that way too many times now.
- But I'm not sure what to think about this whole Demon Dean business. Obviously this sets up what the next season will be about - saving Dean or whatever. I mean, is he actually just a demon, or something else? It could be I don't really remember what Cain was. A Knight of Hell or some such? Who the heck knows.
- The whole Castiel's stolen grace thing hasn't been resolved yet either. If he doesn't replenish his grace, he will eventually die. But replenishing the grace basically means killing another angel, right? Because I guess his grace is gone for good with that Metatron spell?
- The scene of Dean dying in Sam's arms felt very reminiscent of the end of season two with Sam dying in Dean's arms. I'm assuming it was intentional.
- I'm getting a bit tired of all these angel storylines. What exactly are we supposed to feel about the angels at this point? Like, just go back to Heaven already.
- Guess that's another Dean death to add to the list.
Dean: What the hell is happening to me, you son of a bitch?
Crowley: Liquor before beer, bad taco, how should I know?
Crowley: Hell's complicated.
Dean: Game of Thrones is complicated. And shower sex, that's complicated.
Sam: I guess one of us doesn't need a demon to follow a clue trail.
Previous Episode -- Next Episode